Saturday, December 13, 2008

Top songs and Christmas music?!?!

Welcome! This is my other blog that is for all things music. So I think tonight's blog we will kick it off simple. My favorite songs of the 2008. Some are guilty pleasures and some just got me through the day.



Danity Kane-"Damaged"
This song to me was just pure delicious bubble-gum pop. This song wasn't out to change the world. It was meant for you to dance and sing, "Do do you, have a first aid kit handy"
Mates of State-"Get Better"
When I heard this song I loved the built up of this song. The chorus of "Everything's gonna get lighter, even if it never gets better." Is so beautifully pulled off that does it's job as being the first track of the album "Re-Arrange Us".
She & Him- "Thought I Saw Your Face Today"
Zooey Deschanel's vocals are so beautiful. M. Ward's string arrangements are equally beautiful. This song is an instant classic.
Hot Chip-"Shake A Fist"
The beats on this song are sick. When it gets to the "sounds of the studio" part, you are in for a real treat. Trust me.
MGMT-"Kids"
One of the best synth hooks I've heard all year. It just grabbed me and didn't let go. This is one of those songs that will get stuck in your head. I can't help but smile when I hear this song.
Estelle Featuring Kanye West-"American Boy"
R & B at it's finest. Estelle is smooth. Plus Kayne West's rhymes' in this song are just so smooth and very natural with a nice a little punch to them.
The Gaslight Anthem-"The 59' Sound"
This is a late minute edit to this list. I couldn't help it. The story-telling is brilliant. The drums are simple but have a little dance in them. The vocals have a passion in them. This all around great song writing.
Los Campesinos!-"We Are All Accelerated Readers"
Los Campesinos! are armed with quick wit in a pop song that's less than three minutes long. This song had one of my favorite lines of all time, "I'm not Bonnie Tyler, and I'm not Toni Braxton and this song is not gonna save your relationship. Oh..no shit!"
Those are some of my favorite songs of 2008. I only put eight because I'm way more an album person but I wanted to put out some stand out tracks that caught my ear.
Also before I finish for the night, I want to say something that is on my mind. Christmas music! I hate most Christmas music. To be it is boring, unoriginal, and most of all down right cheesy meets tacky. So usually, I'm not going to line-up to recommend Christmas music albums. But their are two albums that I feel are just amazing Christmas music. This coming from a hater of Christmas music.
Sufjan Stevens-"Song For Christmas"
This is a five disc set of Christmas covers and originals. His originals are simple yet well thought out. His covers have his beautiful touch and arrangements. If you already a fan of Mr. Stevens' music then I highly recommend this.
Vince Guaraldi-"A Charlie Brown Christmas" (Extra tracks, Original Recording Remastered)
At Christmas time I must admit I'm huge fan of the Charlie Brown Christmas special and always loved the music. Mr. Guaraldi's arrangements and playing on this album is so timeless. It is beautiful Christmas album for those cold nights and drives around town looking at Christmas lights.

Well, that is it for tonight. Coming soon is my list favorite albums of 2008.



No comments:

Post a Comment