Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Top Albums of 2008

So yes, I know that 2008 is over. But I still want to talk about my favorite albums of 2008. I was still listening to albums that were released in 2008 up until the very end.



The list of my favorite albums of 2008. You might find some surprises on my list. But then again if you know me than you won't be surprised. (Because you heard me talk about some of these bands.)

The Gaslight Anthem-"59' Sound"
One of the greatest straight up pure rock and roll records to come along in a long time. This record came along when I wasn't sure what I wanted to listen to. It came along as a breath of fresh air.

Death Cab For Cutie-"Narrow Stairs"
To me this album is sad and beautiful all at the same time. Lyrically, this is Ben Gibbard's darkest work but it speaks of a beauty that is hard to pin point. Musically, it comes together very well. Chris Walla's production is brilliant as usual.

Foals-"Antidotes"
This group of Englishmen write the best shoe taping music. I decided to listen to this album on the bus and my shoes kept taping the whole way to work. The album is catchy and danceable but not your typical dancey indie pop rock. This album was played on many trips to work. I'm shocked that more people aren't talking about this record. It is beautiful.

MGMT-"Oracular Spectacular"
This album took me a very a long time to get into. I admit I didn't like this band when I first heard the singles, "Time to Pretend" and "Electric Feel" but their song "Kids" caught my ears attention. So I gave the other singles a chance and fell in love. So of course I had to get the album. I put the disc in and hated it. This album I had to invest time to let the album grow on me. Soon it became one of my favorite albums of 2008.

Mates of State-"Re-Arrange Us"
I can't really explain put my finger on why I love this record so much. But I just do. The songwriting of Kori Gardner and her husband Jason Hammel is beautiful. The arrangements of some of those songs just made me smile. The addition of horns and piano made a nice touch. Personally, I think it was one of the most amazing pop records ever.

She & Him-"Volume: One"
I have to admit when I heard the girl from "Elf" was making a record. I was wondering, if this would work. Then when I heard she would be working with M. Ward I was surprised. Well with out hearing anything before I bought this record on a whim of retail therapy. The next day I unwrapped the package pop the disc in my cd player and put the headphones on, I was surprised how good the songs are. This album is a modern classic.

Hot Chip-"Made In The Dark"
"Give me something dancey. I want something I can dance along to," I said one day to my friend. She told me she was enjoying this band called Hot Chip. So I bought the album on the spot. One night, I decided to put it on as I waited for the bus. This album's beats and layers of music were so sick. Every time I listen to this album I hear something new.

Los Campesinos!-"Now Hold On, Youngster..."
One fateful late night, I was flipping the channels and saw the video to "Death To Los Campesinos!" In that instant my life had changed, I had a mindset. I had to have this record. I needed this band in my life. When I finally got this album in the mail, I had to listen to it right away. This album was filled with everything I love about music; energetic music, filled with keyboards, great guitars, drums, and tongue in cheek lyrics.

Los Campesinos!-"We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed"
Los Campesinos! released two albums in one year?!? Well lead singer Gareth Campesinos says, "We view it as an extended ep, like an EEP" This extended-ep is much more polished then "Now Hold On, Youngster." The lyrics on this album more heart on their sleeve and confessional but still have that nice tongue in cheek bite to them. Musically, this record is so much more tighter but has that same energy that made me fall in love with Los Campesinos!

Sigur Ros-"Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust"
This is my favorite record of 2008. Sigur Ros has always been on my top five list of favorite bands. This album is their best work to date. They took huge risk musically on this album. I have to admit myself I was scared. To hear that my favorite band was going to try acoustic guitars, horns, and one song in which lead singer Jonsi Birgisson would be singing in English. But the risk paid off. It is a more stripped down Sigur Ros but you still have all those lovely layers that make Sigur Ros so great. Their musical risk gave me my personal number one album of 2008.


What's plugged in the headphones? Sigur Ros-"All Alright" from the album "Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust" (2008)

2 comments: